
Our good and faithful basketball goal gave up the ghost a few days ago. He served many years, serving many family members, neighborhood kids, and on a very rare occasion even myself, all basketball players. Towards the end of his life he was stuck at 7 feet, which is a serious problem if you are supposed to be 10 feet. However the smaller players appreciated the easier shot, and the older players appreciated the easier dunk.
Through it all, despite inclement weather, he was always there with his hoop extended, asking, begging for you to take a shot. Only once did he need his white net replaced.
We only noticed the cancer at his base a few days before he collapsed so we did not have long to say goodbye, but surely those last days were memorable.
Tomorrow we have an appointment with a basketball technician who will place a new goal with us. The carcass of the old goal is too big for us to bury in our modest estate so he will be taking the old one with him. The new goal will in fact be much superior to the old goal, and in fact, will be superior to all goals in the neighborhood. I am not saying that this makes me a better person, or that we are a better family than our sport court challenged neighbors, but secretly in my heart that is what I am thinking.

9 comments:
My deepest sympathy to your family in this time of great sorrow.
Will the new, younger, better, more challenging (for Chris anyway) replacement goal post have a plaque placed on it in memory of the dear old departed one?
(P.S. Is the attending car in the photo a hint for ask to ask who was driving?)
I am also sad for your loss and I wanted you to know that your family is in my thoughts. I am excited that your new goal will be superior. I will have to come over and use it because I want to be seen with the superior goal.
Oh and I found out from a neighbor that we are allowed to have goals in our neighborhood, just not ones that are in the ground.
It is a hard time, Aggie, but we are working our way through it. We are survivers. I had not thought of a plaque, but that is an indeed a good idea. No silly Aggie. A car did not kill our goal. It was indeed base cancer. However when it finally keeled over it came inches away from my beloved Mustang. We dodged a bullet there.
It is wise of you to be seen with our new goal Becca. Once you see it you will understand why. That is unfortunate that you will not be able to get an in ground goal, because of course that means your goal will never be as good as ours. Feel free to use our goal any time you like though. I like to be there for family.
Jeepers Chris!! Re-word that blurb on Yahoo please!! You scared the CRAP out of me!! I freaked when I read that!! But SO relieved there were no HUMANS involved!! :O)
I am astonished and moved... You've gone through the hoops these days, indeed. I'm glad, though, that the ordeal hasn't made a basket case of the family and that you haven't landed in court as the matter dribbles away into the past. Please tell me the name of the deceased; who are the pall bearers? Tip me off, if you please..
It looks so peaceful laying there.
RIP, good buddy.
Rest in piece. It has gone to a far better place.
Thinking of you and yours in this time of sorrow.
A donation has been made to Dairy Queen in BG's name.
I miss having a basketball net on the garage. Great that you are getting another one.
My sympathies for the one you lost.
Post a Comment