Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Happy Dromedary Day!

Apparently some parts of the British Empire do not have camels and they have camel envy. So I understand that the people there who wanted to import camels into thier country would have meetings on Wednesdays and these meeting days came to be called "Dromedary Day", which is named after a certain type of camel. And so in countries of the old empire on Wednesdays people often say, "Happy Dromedary Day"!

Well aparently here in the U.S. they got tired of such a long name for such a common day, so around the time of the American Revolution it got shortened to "Hump Day", since camels have humps. So that is how we get hump day here in the states.

So anyway, happy hump day!

9 comments:

Euromark said...

We could shorten it further - and just say "HHD", but that sounds like some new viral infection, so lets leave it with the suspicious sounding "hump".

Anonymous said...

Whatever the Hump is filled with, I suspect Chris is "full of it" too. LOL

Dirty Bunny said...

I love dromedaries. They are so cute! I've heard they are mean, though.

Jessica said...

I always wondered where we got the name! THanks for imparting your knowledge to us! :)

Chris said...

You are welcome Jessica. I think it is important to pass on what knowledge we have, and of course it is true because I read it on the Internet.

As for dromedaries being mean, well lets just say I would not want to have one for a roomate.

Trishdish said...

Uh-huh. They are well known for spitting at you if you try to make them do something you don't want to do. Good tactics, must try it.

Trishdish said...

Oops, I'm being blonde. I mean if you try to make them do something THEY don't want to do. Duh!

Bettina said...

Wouldn't it be better though to try to make them do something YOU don't want to do? If it worked out, that would be really handy. I would get mine to iron my clothes and go to work for me.

MYSTIC said...

Why must they iron your clothes...you aren't going to work?