Sunday, January 21, 2007

Start Up Mentoring Workshop

Darron and I went to the Rice Alliance Start Up Mentoring Workshop yesterday. It was very interesting and I learned a lot. There were four lectures.

The first was how to raise money from venture capitalists by Bob Bridge, CEO of Zilker Labs. This was ok, but not really encouraging, because it is not very easy, and even if you are successful the VCs usually end up taking control of your company. So forget that. I want to own the company not sell it!

The second lecture was how to boostrap your company by Bijoy Goswami from Bootstrap Network. This was excellent and very useful. The idea is that you build a demo, you sell it to a customer, and then repeat to build your business, just like what I am trying to do.

The third lecture was on Finance 101, by Robert S Smith of Bridgepoint Consulting. This was about the various ways to raise money and ways to structure the investments. What not to do and things to avoid was also discussed.

Lastly, Alex R. Allermann of Jenkins and Gilchrist, P.C. discussed business law, including how to structure your company and when to do it. It looks like what you want is a Limited Liability Partnership until circumstances force you to incorporate.

Anyway it was quite fascinating and inspiring.

The other thing that happened to me is that Kim's dog ate my DSL line. Seriously. For some reason the silly dog thought a wire on the side of the building would make a wonderful chew toy. I am typing this from work, in case you are wondering.

Tomorrow I leave for Pittsburg to take Quentin to trade school. Ruth Ann and NatJ are also going. The other kids are being farmed out. We drive there and set him up, and then we will fly back Saturday. Looks like more snow for me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, sounds like things are really moving along for your project which is great.
Huge congrats to Quentin on going off to Tradeschool. Hope he really enjoys it ... and that you all have a lovely trip.

Angela O. said...

Wow--what a busy weekend. But all sounds very productive. Congrats!

Bettina said...

Good to see you're getting ready to take the next step with your project and preparing yourself for it.

On the other hand, not quite so good that the dog ate your DSL line. I thought that was hilarious though, although I'm sure you must have been annoyed. What a funny dog.

Helene said...

lol liked the blizzard photo!

The class sounds interesting. I once took a course like it (it was 2 weeks ) at Wharton Business school for starting up a small business. I would say that I didnt get anything tangible from the class but did get a lot of inspiration and felt like I went through the right steps in deciding what to do... I decided not to take part in the business I was researching with a friend. She did and it did ultimately fail. The good thing is that we remained good friends! =] So it was a win/win for me and a win/learning experience for her! *wink

Good luck in Pittsburg! Its a great city!

Sarah said...

Your daughter was absolutely great. Very sweet. And she ate all her food, all the time. I was like "who is this girl?" my kids are not as good eaters yet as Marjorie. Thanks for letting me help you all out.