Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Annual Haircut

I get maybe one or two haircuts a year. I got my annual haircut, yesterday. I look pretty much different. I will try to post a picture.

The downside is my 5 year old daughter thought it was such a great idea, she cut off her hair, too. I will try to post a picture.

I took the kids to Bull Creek Park yesterday. It was a beautiful day. The water was still chilly, but refreshing. The kids were catching pollywogs. As I was leaving I saw the sign that said "No swimming". Not sure what that was all about.

Ruth Ann and I saw the movie Smart People last night. I loved it! Good story. Good script. Good actors, actresses and acting. Good ending. Good everything.

My taxes are done. Just got to put it in an envelope and take it to the post office. I loath the IRS and wish April 15th was just another day.

The stuff the Feds are doing to the polygamous group in West Texas is just tragic. Why harass the whole community? If they have evidence of a crime why not arrest the person responsible? They met with him yesterday and let him go which makes me think that they must not have evidence. The whole thing is based upon one or more annonymous phone calls. They apparently do not even know who made them nor are they in contact with the person who made the calls. Today they are separating hundreds of mothers from their children. It is pure and simple persecution of people who are different. Very sad.

I thinking about quitting my first job, and cashing in my retirement and just being a full time student (only a student) for a year or so. Maybe even writing that book if they still want it. Ruth Ann is having a hard time adjusting to that possibility.

5 comments:

Mary Ann Melton said...

Problem is those underage kids with babies - one was reported to be 16 with 3 babies - I, for one, have a problem with that.

Chris said...

In my opinion the age is not the issue. My mother in law got married before she was 16 I believe, which is perfectly legal.

The issue is whether or not a crime is being committed. If so, do you have evidence? If you have evidence then arrest the person(s) responsible. That is the due process of law. They met with the person supposedly responsible and let him go. What is up with that?

It is like a murder in a small town and the arrest the whole entire town until they can figure out what is going on. That is just not right. They only reason they can get away with it is because they are different than the norm.

Anonymous said...

Hm, I thought Polygamist communities were still illegal there ... so tecnically they have ALL broken the law??
The vulnerable still need protection Chris.
Hypothetical question here:
If your little girls were being abused by another family member would you wait around until it was proven, or not proven, or would you err on the side of caution and place them under immediate protection?
Crime (anywhere) is not like it's all figured out and wrapped up in an hour like on TV.
It is a long process and the interviews may just be the beginning.
It may be a long time until anything is proven in a court of law.
A 16 yr old with 3 babies places her around 13 yrs old when she was having her first child. That IS criminal!

Angela O. said...

My BIL went back to school full time for a while to finish his degree (also computer programming) and it was quite a sacrifice. But it did pay off in the end. During that time my SIL worked part time and there were student loans. Since Dan graduated they have worked really hard on paying off the debt. It has been quite a struggle but was a good choice for them in the end. You and Ruth Ann will just need to really review everything closely to decide what is best for your family.

Chris said...

Aggie: How is not arresting the man (allegedly) responsible and separating women from their children providing protection?

We know they are selling drugs in East Austin, but we do not arrest half the city and then start asking questions until we find out what is going on.

The whole thing is un-American, and has also happened before.

Angela: That is wise advise. We are still looking at it and running the numbers. No decision has been made, and there is no need to make one quickly at this point. Thanks!