A black lady filed a lawsuit against a local bookstore for malicious prosecution. The bookstore had charged her with theft. She was found innocent in the criminal trial, so she turned around and sued the bookstore.
Her friend apparently bought the items, and they walked through the electronic sensors that did not go off. Later her friend called and said the receipt was missing. She left her real name and phone number and listed the items that were purchased. The store did a search and could not find the transaction. She came in the next day returning a couple items for her friend. The store gave her a refund (even though it was policy not to give refunds without a receipt) to get her personal information. They did not mention anything to her about the theft, but simply filed a complaint after they got the information. She did not find out that there was a warrant out on her until much later.
She and her friend both said under oath that they got a store credit and not cash. The store produced a signed document saying that they got a cash refund.
The complaint was signed by the local prosecuter and taken to trial where she was found innocent.
In this counter trial she represented herself in court. This was a big mistake. She was terribly confused and had to be interrupted numerous times by the judge. I did not find out until later, from her opponent, why this was so.
Even though she was inept in the courtroom, I voted in favor of her. I thought that simply not having the transaction was not enough for the store to file a complaint. There could be other reasons why the store records were wrong, such as an error at the register. I think the behavior clearly demonstrated that they were not thieves.
I thought the store needed a witness, or an alarm, or to catch the person to have probable cause to file a complaint. I thought that charging someone with a crime is serious business and they needed more.
The judge did something very unusual in that she let the jury ask questions. THe plaintiff would question the witness, then the defendant would question, and then we would submit written questions.
At one point, I submitted a question to the store owner asking, how often does a thief call in to the store the same day and give thier real name, real phone number, and the list of items allegedly stolen? I wanted to try to get him to settle, by asking a very pointed question. He did admit it was very unusual, but did not seem to flinch much.
The jury happened to consist of 6 white men. I was outvoted 5-1, so she lost. Several of the jurors thanked me for voting for her, as they felt that the case was not cut and dry and it was good for her to know that her view of the events was seriously considered, and she was not dismissed quickly with a unanimous jury against her.
After the trial, the bookstore lawyer asked me about voting against him, and I told him that for a serious thing like accusing someone of a crime, I thought he needed more evidence of wrongdoing other that just store records that did not show the transaction. Then he told me that they had tried to settle with her, and she refused and fired her lawyer because she was afraid he would settle. Lawyers need a settlement to collect a bill.

11 comments:
Editor in Chief correcting errors here:
-malicious
-receipt
-defendant
-their
Now you can amend them & make my post seem ridiculous. lol
Good for you. I'd have voted the same way. I think that store very underhand in the way they went about collecting information to use against her.
Good question to the Store owner too. If you were a guilty person that's about the last thing you would do. Sounds like her pride was mightily hurt and instead of settling she took it too far.
You surely do have an interesting legal system over there.
Doesn't sound honest to me "She and her friend both said under oath that they got a store credit and not cash. The store produced a signed document saying that they got a cash refund." And how often do you return BOOKS the very next day? It's not like you take it home to try on and they don't fit or have a hole in them or something . . .
Well that is what a lot of the other jurors thought, too, and you could be right. However, remember this was not the first trial, so they must have been familiar with the evidence, so I am not sure why they stuck to the story of getting a store credit instead of a cash refund, since I do not think it an important point anyway.
Also one of the items was a CD which was package in a double package but only had one cd in it, so that though there was a problem with it. As it turned out it was packaged that way for marketing reasons.
In the end they only got $20. If they were really thieves, they could have done better stealing the stuff and then reselling it to Half Priced Books and saved themselves a lot of trouble.
True they could have just been real dumb, but although she did a poor job of representing herself in court they did not strike me as that dumb.
I decided the evidence of using thier real names and phone numbers was more persuasive than the wierd payment conflict.
It was a strange case, though.
That is weird. It sounds like a case of people being a little over suspicious. I haven't ever served on jury duty, I thought that you always had to come to a unanimouse decision. And I didn't know you could just have 12 jurors. Saves the taxpayers money I guess since you made like $40?
Unless they've had problems with one or both of these ladies before, I'd have thought the same thing you did.
I once rang up a layaway transactin wrong. The guy signed the receipt, which clearly showed he had not made a payment, but he did, $50. I felt so bad because if he had come again to pay on his layaway, it never would have shown. So, I looked up his address, and mailed him a letter, and proof that he did pay in case he came in at a later date.
Mistakes do happen.
LOL!!!
The proofreader feels compelled to correct the Editor in Chief:
underhand = underhanded
Store owner = store owner
mightily = very
surely = sure
:O)
Then again, this could be the "King's English" I suppose?
:O)
There were only 6 jurors. Supposedly I earned $40, but I have not seen the money, yet. I am not serving again until I get paid!
I thought they had reason to refuse a refund, if they wanted to. I thought they had reason to keep an eye on them. I just did not think they had reason to actually file a complaint against them, as it could have been (and probably was) all a big mistake.
txdad58: I correct other peep's errors, not my own. I'm too lazy! Americans spell funny anyway!
And if all else fails, I blame the dyslexic pixie that lives in the Blogdom Kingdom. lol
Shouldn't it be Queen's English?
Just wait until we get King Willy's English!
Post a Comment