Monday, June 12, 2006

First Day

Ok, so a quick note before I crash. First day at new computer data company. I meet with the director, and he asks me when is my last day at my current job. He is asking because he wants to work around my schedule so I do not work too hard. I tell him I have not quit yet, but will let him know when I do. The reason I do this is because I want to keep both jobs. So I tell him I am happy to work a regular M-F 8-5 job as I figure if I work normal hours they might forget that I still have my old job.

So anyway I find out I am a team leader with the production systems. 3 other sysadmins in my team. A team leader is like a manager, except you are expected to also do all of the regular work you would if you were not a leader. I feel the compliment, but it also makes my life harder, as not only do I have to work, but now I have to lead and inspire the men!

So, I am there an hour, and then I hear one of my guys is quitting! Not because of me, but because of stuff prior to me getting there. I have not even got checked in, yet, and I am already in the midst of crisis. Of course, he has lots of critical information in his head like passwords and we have to work on him to give us the information.

Also, I am scehduled for a meeting. It is about some change in air conditioning in the data center. The entire data center will be shut down. And then, since it is down, they want to fix and re-arrange some stuff. I point out to them that the known good data center will not be the same as new data center they will try to bring back up. It might take a while, and I am not the only new guy on staff. It is in 3 weeks, and there has not been a lot of planning. It sounds pretty ambitions and possibily dangerous in a business way.

So anyway I have my work cut out for me, but I think I can help, and the day went fairly well. Well, except for the time I walked away from my computer without locking the screen. By the time I got back my desktop had a picture of Barbie, and I had written love notes to the rest of the computer group. So apparently I work with a bunch of commediens. Wonderful.

8 comments:

Karen said...

Wow! Glad you made it through. Enjoy your sleep!

Rebecca said...

Wow it sounds like you had a busy day! Maybe it will be a little less crazy the 2nd day. Sleep well.

Perry H. said...

Dang Buddy, I will defintely step up at our job and take over all you do that I can...so don't hesitate to ask if I can do anything to help. I greatly admire you already, and you've been there to listen to my love (obsession?) life!!! Take it easy and good luck!

Angela O. said...

That sounds like a wonderful opportunity! What a great compliment to be put in charge right off the bat . . . now you can ask for more money :-D

Anonymous said...

Don't work too hard! We can't have you falling asleep on the Blog now can we?
Good luck, they sound like a fun team!

Anonymous said...

Well, found you again! Thought you'd vanished behind some blogstone in a web bar in Geek Creek... alor...
Ca va? over here unemployment is at 12% nationwide (officially), unoficially about 25% in some regions, and occasionally as high as 40%, and you are working two full-time jobs.
Don't miss the world soccer games all taking place in Germany. USA plays this week!

Kristi said...

heck!

Dirty Bunny said...

It's great that people sound accepting of you. That is half of the battle, right there. It doesn't sound life fitting in will be any sort of problem.