Sunday, June 18, 2006

More of my Novel

Some of you have been following my novel. It started as the world's smallest novel. But then I wrote more, and then I really got inspired. And there was yet another post about my novel.

Here is the next installment:

"I see you have met my friend Julianna. Hope you are enjoying yourself."
"Yes, she seems very witty and attractive."
"She is a lesbian, you know."
"Indeed? No, I was quite unaware."
"Yes, she is."
"Well, at least she does not smoke."

19 comments:

Perry H. said...

LMAO!! I caught up on the whole novel rather fast, although reading between the lines like I do made it intensely difficult to understand. I think I have it now. Please keep going!!

:O)

Anonymous said...

Call this a novel? I write longer emails!

Chris said...

It is the quality, not the quantity that counts.

Anonymous said...

I get to the word lesbian and it automatically puts me to sleep. Out, like a light. zzzzzzzzzzzz
On the other hand, SEX sells!

Chris said...

Hmm...lets see if it works the other way:

"I see you mey my friend George. Hope you are enjoying yourself."
"Yes, he seems very witty and attractive."
"He is gay you know."
"Indeed? No, I was quite unaware."
"Yes, he is.
"Well, at least he does not smoke."

Hmm... I guess it works that way to, and has the advantage of not using the word lesbian, but I like the former version better as really the male is the protagonist, and she is the foil, so I prefered him to have the last ironic line.

It is not really about sex, so much as it is about sin. Here in the states there is a very large culture war going on around homesexuality, as if it was the unforgivable sin. By his saying that "at least she does not smoke" it is like he was saying that smoking is a worse sin than homosexuality which some people would find amusing.

The funny thing is that this is actually doubly ironic in that there is actually a huge war going on here in the states against smokers, were they are hounded out of society and confined to certain little smoking concentration camps.

What is unsaid, is that the protagonist takes the view that the far more common sins, say lack of courage and compassion, for example, are perhaps more important, but almost never addressesed by society.

Of course, if I have to explain everything, then I have failed, failed, failed as a writer

Anonymous said...

Ahh the penny has dropped! (Do you have that saying in USA?)
We have already had that argument and debate here in N.Z. Our "Nanny State" government has legislated smokers all to hell (where we understand smoking IS an acceptable habit) in this country, and they have legalised all sorts of "gay marriage/rights, etc" in a hugely P.C. way. Anyone who disagrees is immediately consigned to the aforementioned "hot" place along with the smokers! Already law here! Dumb Asses! (oops Sorry Ruth-Ann)
You are a very witty writer Chris ... my brain was a bit fogged. I got too caught up in the story & missed the message! lol
You HAVE NOT failed in your mission to educate us greatly!

Chris said...

In computer programming, they have contests to see who can write a certain program in the fewest lines of code. I think it is an interesting experiment to try to write a story in 1, 2 or 5 lines. What can be accomplished with so little?

Anonymous said...

It's a novel use of the word novel

Chris said...

I don't see why words have to mean the same thing to everyone. That seems so confining and limiting.

Sarah said...

um. your novel has a message? i thought it was just random lines.

i think i prefer my novels on paper and able to be read all the way through at one time.

Chris said...

"just random lines"

What is this? Dis on writers day?

OK, don't worry about my feelings. Tell me what you really think. :)

Perry H. said...

Awesome stuff Chris! I of course got it all immediately and did not want to ruin it for anyone...;O)

Anonymous said...

I'm seriously tempted to put something electrical into that spa pool Perry!

Chris said...

Uh oh! Sounds like a lovers spat! Perry, better start being nicer to her.

Anonymous said...

Well Chris, I WAS thinking of throwing myself. But perhaps you're right ... a little bit of restraint might be called for now!

Perry H. said...

Chris: one can wish

Perry H. said...

Abby: Throw yourself in!! It's right next door to my place! ;O)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you attempt to address politically correct agendas... non-smokers are rather healthy people, so this would offset the fact that she is a lesbian. And, these sentences give you the option of developing actions in several directions...

Chris said...

I don't really develop actions so much. These little episodes pop in to my mind out of the blue, and I just record them here.