Saturday, June 17, 2006

WORLD CUP REPORT: We Got A Point!!!

For anonymous Mark who wanted to see more World Cup Soccer coverage. First the good news: We scored a point! The bad news: I am a sports guy, but I am having a hard time caring. Maybe now that we have actually scored a point though, I will start monitoring the situation. I mean it just seems to me that the sport is so much more interesting when your team can actually score a point.

P.S. Even though I totally missed watching the match, the refs disallowing the U.S.A. winning goal was totally bogus in my opinion. To have actually scored two points, how great would that have been?

14 comments:

Perry H. said...

What the fuck is soccer? We have a team? Does anyone in the USA really care? I'm ready for Football (the REAL Football) season!! Go Vikes!

Anonymous said...

Haven't you people heard of the All Blacks Rugby team & Jonah Lomu. Makes your Football look like a sunday tag game LOL!

Chris said...

Oh my! She dared insult American football! She is brave and couragous!

Perry those naughty words are going to get you in trouble with Ruth Ann!

Anonymous said...

I was secretly insulting that useless game called "ack" soccer!
I got confused about names!

Perry H. said...

Ah, forgot Chris! I'll clean up my act, except on my own Blogspot blog...lol. My "alter ego" has to be let out somewhere!

Chris said...

It is funny. It is like you have a good blog, and a bad blog.

Sarah said...

joel was watching it.

it wasn't gymnastics or ice skating so i didn't watch much.

did they take their clothes off? that would have won more audience in USA.

Chris said...

And New Zealand, too, I am guessing.

Anonymous said...

I took all my clothes off for you Chris. I got to keep the N.Z. end up! I think of it as another form of Flag waving!

Chris said...

Patriotism is so important!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for thinking of me, Chris. Yes, America tied, so they get to continue playing. N.B. the American team played in Kaiserslautern, a city with a strong US military presence, so I'm sure they had many fans there in the city rooting for them.

Now to the anonymous - I have no blog, since, as you astutely note, google can make us more public than we want to be (shouldn't be a problem for the exhibitionists among us). I checked Google and found reems of sites on my name - the nascar driver, that is.

Now to the slams on soccer: grrrrr... I am no sports fan, mind you, but the reality is that most of the world plays soccer, known simply as "football" in the rest of the world. What we in the USA play is known as "American football." Soccer is a national and cultural passion madly defended by the rest of the world - national pride is at stake in the world soccer cup here in Germany. These comments are meant as neutral observations - I personally have nothing at stake, but I live in a continent in which, when Germany scores a goal, the whole city cheers - you suddenly here a roar all over the city -amazing. So, please use caution when belittling soccer - you wind up belittling more than just the sport...

yes, my name is Mark ...

Anonymous said...

Here are some more comments on soccer: Did you know the world Soccer Championship games are also taking place in Leipzig? Usually every Wednesday at 3 pm. and every Sunday at 9 pm. (local time) the northwest section of central Leipzig is blocked off so that the Zentralstadion is free for the games.

The whole city is alive with soccer fever: at Augustus Square they have two giant screens broadcasting all games live, even when opera or symphony concerts are in progress adjacently. The streets of downtown Leipzig are jam-packed with tourists wearing colourful hats, t-shirts, capes, and speaking many languages. And for us Leipzigers it is great, because we have even more ways to get Italian ice cream, snacks, beer, and souvenirs.

Although I am not at all a fan of soccer or any contact sports, this event points out the difference between (American) football and soccer. Football is primarily a USA thing, with the Superbowl happening every year at the end of January (really bad timing concerning weather). The world soccer championship happens only every four years, in the summer, and it takes place at many different locations all over the world, and it lasts four whole weeks. This puts the soccer world championship on a much more international level, giving it a feeling of a cultural festival stretching through a big chunk of the summer. Now I can go to cafes and bars in the city and sit next to people from Spain, England, Holland, eastern Europe, and other places - all here for the big event. What a unique opportunity!

Yes, my name is Mark...

Chris said...

Sorry, Mark. I did not mean to dis on soccer. I am glad we are still in the running. I appreciate your first hand reports from the field and the fascinating description of the effect in the city when Germany scores a goal. If you did have your own blog, I would be an avid reader of your reports. I do still think it is funny that we make headlines for the fact that we sinly scored a goal, first time in European Soccer history, apparently. Also, I notice that it is on the TV at work and at bars and restraunants more than I have ever noticed before.

It does sounds like a really great opportunity. Keep me informed of developments.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm paranoid in the blog issue- the spying history in this part of the world makes everyone careful about spreading info around. It's hard for me to open a forum around myself where literally anyone in the world can walk in and look around.
BTW: USA is finished here, but Germany continues. The next game will be Germany vs. Argentina on this Friday at 17.00 (10 am. Texas time). The trainer of the German team live in Los Angeles (!)- he's not there much now...