I liked this movie very much. It kind of reminds me of A Love Song to Bobby Long, but way wackier.The movie is about a New York actress who is very messed up. The actress is played by Zooey Deschanel. I could not remember where I had seen her before. Ah yes, she was in another movie with Will Ferrell, Elf. I like her very much.
Her character's parents were both apparently famous writers, and someone offers her a large amount of money to get thier correspondence, so that it can be published. So she goes home. And as messed up as she is, it is even more messed up at home. It is a nut house there. Of course, once she gets home she begins to deal with some of the issues that made her who she is.
Ed Harris is good as the father figure, but he is so angst ridden that he is hardly recongnizable.
It was very interesting to see Ferrell (who stars in this weekend's sure to be a blockbuster comedy Talladega Nights) act in a supporting role. Never the less, he is still quite funny, being the nuttiest of them all.
This movie is probably not for everyone, but I liked it. I happen to like crazy people, so I found it all quite charming.

10 comments:
Interesting. Hopefully it will come over here soon. I wonder why the movies focuses on actors and writers? Could it be that somewhere there is an effort to discredit those associated with the media, since the media has been rather critical of the current administration in Washington, or am I chasing a rabbit?
I haven't seen/heard of this one here. I'm not a great fan of Will Farrell, but if he's only in a support role it might be OK.
I love movies about crackpots as you know. lol
Mark, I believe you are chasing a rabbit. I think movies tend to often have to do with writers and actors, is because writers and actors make them and then tend to be interested in writing and acting. :)
Yes, it is interesting. It is certianly not a Will Ferrell movie, and it is kind of surprising that he took this smallish role, when he can headline easily. Maybe he just likes working? If you are a fan, however, he is in several funny scenes, so I guess there is something for fans and non-fans alike.
i was pleasantly surprised by Elf when I saw it. Traditionally Will plays parts that should not be seen by children, but Elf was actually clean. It really threw me for a loop. I'll have to check this one out.
How are you getting to watch so many movies lately? Makes me a little jealous. :)
Sarah, since it is hard for us to get out a whole lot together, we have movie dates after the kids are in bed...however, it is so warm and snuggly watching the movie that I almost always fall asleep and have to wait for these reviews to know what the movie was about...lol!
Then there are those times when we actually go out to the movies at midnight...we did that last night...and you know what happened? I even fell asleep on Chris's shoulder even there with 100's of people laughing their heads off around me...I am hopeless...:) It was fun, though. I love those spontaneous times...
Elf was a kid friendly movie, but this one certainly is not.
We do not watch very much TV, because with 6 kids the noise is already high enough. We tend to read or watch movies, sometimes as a family and sometimes after the kids are in bed. NetFlix is our best friend.
The kids are old enough to stay home alone, but tend to have issues still if we leave them. However at night when they are all asleep we can sneak out occasionally. However this is usally after most or all of the movies have already started, because even when the kids are in bed it takes them time to get to sleep. If we were to leave them alone they would get themselves up.
I discovered something new last night, though. Movie theaters are not allowed to show a movie early before release, so if a popular movie is starting on Friday, some theaters will show the movie one minute after midnight on Thursday night (technically Friday). The downside is the selection is very limited, like 1 movie to choose from. The good news is that we can make one of these movies, because the kids are usually asleep before midnight.
So last night we went to see Talledega Nights. It was practically sold out. It was an interesting crowd. The movie was very funny, but again, not a movie for children. There was nothing especially wicked, but a lot of low humor. I loved the scene with the cougar and also the one where he drives blindfolded.
There is actually a pro-Christian message to the movie in the person of the Grandmother.
I loved this movie too. I have a thing for quirky movies. Zoey is becoming one of my favorite actresses. You can also see her in "Failure to Launch" which I loved. It was a fun movie.
I forgot: I can not wait to see Talledega Nights. It looks frickin' hilarious.
Glad to hear that about Talladega Nights. As a race fan was planning on it but nice to know there's a Christian theme too.
Post a Comment