The following is a true e-mail conversation. Names have been changed as we do not want to identify us for stalkers, nor get the teacher in trouble for his candor.
Hello Mr. XXX,
My daughter Kimberley is in your 4th period Explorers Class. As you know, she was absent for 4 days recently. She has been homeschooled for about 4 of her seven years of school. She is new to this Middle School and has been having trouble adjusting to the bullying that goes on, in particular the "making fun of" type remarks that have been directed at her. I went with her to talk to Mr. YYY, the counselor at the Middle School about this problem, and she is working on trying to ignore it and not let it get to her so much.
She says that it is the worst in the Explorers class, coupled with alot of cursing going on in class, that she is having trouble learning because of rowdiness. She is asking to be switched out of the class. Since I am not in the class to see what goes on, I thought I would discuss this with you first. Has this been your experience in this particular class?
Thanks so much for all that you do...I am sure that teaching middle school is quite challenging.
When is your conference period?
Sincerely,
Ruth Ann
From: "XXX"
Subject: Re: Explorers Class--Kimberley
To: RuthAnn@yahoo.com
Dear Mrs. Chris,
What Kimberley is telling you is pretty much true. I have emplemented a new seating chart as well as a policy of non movement around the room. I have also begun writing students names on the board who are disruptive to follow with detention. Kimberley has really looked shell shocked since she started in my class. I even asked her on one occasion if she was alright. This is my 16th year of teaching middle school, my first year here at Our School. I too have been floored by conversations these children carry on with each other as well as behavior which I have never witnessed in all my years of teaching. Most students here have no regard for the feelings of others or of adult directives. In all honesty I would say to move Kimberley out of this class, maybe to one that has a mix of some more civilized individuals.
I appreciate your communication. My conference starts at about 11:10 on a normal schedule day. (not early release)
I hope that my comments don't get me in any hot water at school; however I am telling you the truth. If I can be of any further or future help, then please let me know.
Sincerely,
Mr. XXX
8th Language Arts
Our Middle School
11 comments:
What a horrid environment to be in and it's really very sad. Poor girl - no wonder she seemed shell-shocked.
Such a shame if the school can't/won't do anything about it?
There's a Colorado way of solving such problems. Get a gun and you'll be in the news.
middle school is such a tough time. to be honest i had wondered about that school. i have no problem about the elem. school and hoped that the middle school would be okay as well but i have never been in there to observe. i hope that things get worked out. i'm sorry (i don't know why i feel responsible, but maybe cause i told you the district was good?)...
i guess maybe it's cause of the location of the school. can i feel guilt because a school is close to my house? am i personally responsible for a school? i guess i just have a complex this morning.
You know, I really do think it is a good school. And I think this is a very conscientious teacher. Really I blame the parents. This kids seem to have no proper upbringing whatsoever. I am kind of proud that my Kim is shell shocked at the bad environment.
Sarah, since you live nearbye, if you could start attending the class and assisting the teacher keep order, I think that would be helpful. It is 4th period. Thanks.
Based on the response, I'd say the teacher has capitulated, or has the whole school capitulated perhaps? Some teachers at a middle school in Berlin sent SOS letters to federal politicians, and these quickly made it to the media (surely no accident). Can someone use a cell phone to take video segments of some of the most "inspiring" scenarios and then feed these to some local tv stations? KVUE 24 ought to be interested in this.
Oh, I also heard from some public school teachers that kids in the AISD are very rough, and that the RRISD is much better - Williamson County is much more conservative.
Good gravy Chris wish I lived near your place.
Did live in Denver and hated it (got beaten up going home from school once, hit by a car going TO school once)..have very unhappy memories of the west. Would be MORE than happy to enforce discipline, parochial style.
Can't believe the school attitude but bravo for the honesty of the teacher.
Take a look at my post tonight. Wonder if that's going on up here, producing the cretins that're running loose in O town?
mardymichi may be onto something.
We moved her into a P.E. class which she needs for credits anyway. I think part of the propblem is that this class seemed to be a dumping ground: a place to stick kids that do not have anything else to take. Anyway, Kim is a lot happier now.
kids are awful ... seriously. they have no conscience about what they say and who they hurt ... but then again when we allow and promote movies like "Mean Girls" ... violence on tv, movies and video games ... ( i could go on forever ) .. what do we expect from them?
i feel so bad for her ... why can't they just go back to homeschooling?
and stop making fun of Colorado!!!!!
:(
bullies!!!
(see .... adults do it too ... )
Post a Comment