Nice little debate on the trinity can be found here. It would have been nice if they had enabled comments. I would have liked to see what the debate spectators had to say, too. Interesting use of a blog: online debate.
11 comments:
Anonymous
said...
debate queen. *points to self* i argue with everyone about everything. it sucks.
but i like that blog site! thanks for posting it. =)
I never debate my faith with anyone. If I did, I hardly see how that would be faith. I'm just fine with letting anyone else believe whatever they choose. Their path is their path. And I have never allowed anyone to force their beliefs on me. I leave evangelism to those better suited to it.
Is Jesus fully divine, or fully human, or some of each or only one and none of the other, and where does the Holy Spirit fit in? This debate caused centuries of war and death, it still divides the orthodox and western christendom, and even some of the Muslim foundations of belief probably are a result of Nestorianism. How can we know for sure where the one true answer is, if there really is only one correct answer? I'm waiting for life after this version of life to see, #1, if it really matters, and #2, what the answer(s) might be.
I do not agree that war and death are the best way to resolve the issue, but perhaps it is a measure of the importance of the question. Do you really not think that who Jesus really is, is not significant? To me, it may not only be of highest importance, but it may even be the only thing of importance.
I do not think the idea that you can not know something for sure is helpful. What would be the point of thinking at all then? I think rather one should have firm opinions, although one should treat others gently.
If we can't know anything, then why know at all- yes I agree. Yet there are some things that are difficult to impossible for us to thoroughly comprehend to the point of seeing through all the complexities of all central and tangential issues associated with the topic. The question of the trinity is one of those topics. The Council of Nicea decided on a particular understanding of the relationship of the Son to the Father, and that eventually made most other understandings heretical. So who is the heretic? (S)He is the one who loses the debate. Of course, "who Jesus is" is most certainly significant,as the many wars and divisions help demonstrate, but "who Jesus is" has a great many facets and dimensions, many of which we may never even become aware of, much less comprehend. This is simply a statement of human limitation and humility, which I think would help many politicians who seem so convinced that "God is on their side," when we read that "God does not pick sides" (my own rending of "God is no respector of persons")
It is just too too early in the morning to think about theological debate. I think I will go back to bed with my coffee. I have some of Mike's Hard Lime in the fridge and when I down a couple of those I may head back to the debate site.
Let me paraphrase here: 1. Don't cast your pearls before swine, 2. You will know a fool by his words. 3. Don't tolerate a fool.
As for the Jesus debate...If he is who he said he is, why don't you do what he told you?
For me: I believe he is God incarnate...fully God and fully Man. Debate it? Don't have to debate because it is settled for me. Take a clue from the handle... Hint number two...if you seek Him, you will find Him...If you debate Him, you will waste a lot of time, and you don't know how much time you have...your choice.
I have never understood debates about religion. It is what a person's faith dictates. If a person believes Jesus is half and half, then he is. If someone believes he's all man, then that's what he is to that person.
Let's face it - no one is going to know until we reach the hereafter, and maybe not even then. I know what I believe, and that's what I'm sticking to (at least until He tells me otherwise).
11 comments:
debate queen. *points to self*
i argue with everyone about everything. it sucks.
but i like that blog site! thanks for posting it. =)
I never debate my faith with anyone. If I did, I hardly see how that would be faith. I'm just fine with letting anyone else believe whatever they choose. Their path is their path. And I have never allowed anyone to force their beliefs on me. I leave evangelism to those better suited to it.
Is Jesus fully divine, or fully human, or some of each or only one and none of the other, and where does the Holy Spirit fit in? This debate caused centuries of war and death, it still divides the orthodox and western christendom, and even some of the Muslim foundations of belief probably are a result of Nestorianism. How can we know for sure where the one true answer is, if there really is only one correct answer? I'm waiting for life after this version of life to see, #1, if it really matters, and #2, what the answer(s) might be.
I do not agree that war and death are the best way to resolve the issue, but perhaps it is a measure of the importance of the question. Do you really not think that who Jesus really is, is not significant? To me, it may not only be of highest importance, but it may even be the only thing of importance.
I do not think the idea that you can not know something for sure is helpful. What would be the point of thinking at all then? I think rather one should have firm opinions, although one should treat others gently.
And yet ... after all men have long since ceased puffing out their divided opinions on the matter, God will still say: "I am"
If we can't know anything, then why know at all- yes I agree. Yet there are some things that are difficult to impossible for us to thoroughly comprehend to the point of seeing through all the complexities of all central and tangential issues associated with the topic. The question of the trinity is one of those topics. The Council of Nicea decided on a particular understanding of the relationship of the Son to the Father, and that eventually made most other understandings heretical. So who is the heretic? (S)He is the one who loses the debate.
Of course, "who Jesus is" is most certainly significant,as the many wars and divisions help demonstrate, but "who Jesus is" has a great many facets and dimensions, many of which we may never even become aware of, much less comprehend. This is simply a statement of human limitation and humility, which I think would help many politicians who seem so convinced that "God is on their side," when we read that "God does not pick sides" (my own rending of "God is no respector of persons")
It is just too too early in the morning to think about theological debate. I think I will go back to bed with my coffee. I have some of Mike's Hard Lime in the fridge and when I down a couple of those I may head back to the debate site.
Let me paraphrase here:
1. Don't cast your pearls before swine,
2. You will know a fool by his words.
3. Don't tolerate a fool.
As for the Jesus debate...If he is who he said he is, why don't you do what he told you?
For me: I believe he is God incarnate...fully God and fully Man. Debate it? Don't have to debate because it is settled for me. Take a clue from the handle...
Hint number two...if you seek Him, you will find Him...If you debate Him, you will waste a lot of time, and you don't know how much time you have...your choice.
I have never understood debates about religion. It is what a person's faith dictates. If a person believes Jesus is half and half, then he is. If someone believes he's all man, then that's what he is to that person.
Let's face it - no one is going to know until we reach the hereafter, and maybe not even then. I know what I believe, and that's what I'm sticking to (at least until He tells me otherwise).
And in other news . . . WHERE'S CHRIS????
I do not know. I can not find myself. If you see me please report it.
He's Lost in CyberSpace!
Post a Comment