Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Favorite Christmas Carol


This is my favorite Christmas carol. What is yours?

Oh Holy Night

Oh holy night!
The stars are brightly shining
It is the night of the dear Savior's birth!
Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till he appear'd and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn!

Fall on your knees
Oh hear the angel voices
Oh night divine
Oh night when Christ was born
Oh night divine
Oh night divine

Led by the light of Faith serenely beaming
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand
So led by light of a star sweetly gleaming
Here come the wise men from Orient land
The King of Kings lay thus in lowly manger
In all our trials born to be our friend.

Truly He taught us to love one another
His law is love and His gospel is peace
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother
And in His name all oppression shall cease
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name.


Words by Chappeau de Roquemaure
Translated by John S. Dwight

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This would be one of my most favourites ... but I also love Hark the Herald Angels sing ... if done with just the right arranging. Full bodied choir, etc ...

Euromark said...

Mine is: Lo, how a rose ere blooming.
This is a translation of the original German: Es ist ein' Rose entsprungen.

Sarah said...

Either O Holy Night or O Come O Come Emmanuel. Or I Wonder as I Wander. Or Joy to the World. Um, I like them all?

Amy said...

I love this one, though it kinda bugs me that we only sing it at Christmas time. The words are stunningly beautiful. The song that I have the most fun singing this time of year is Jingle Bells, though it was actually originally written for Thanksgiving. (I only learned that fact this year, so I hope you can forgive me as I feel the need to dispense it over and over.)

Angela O. said...

O Come, All Ye Faithful gets me singing with no heistation every time . . .

Kristi said...

just so happens that IS my favorite carol.
I love to sing it by starting out quiet and then just getting louder and louder by the time they are on their knees.

Callie said...

My favorite Christmas song is Carol of the Bells. Especially if done powerfully with all the instruments participating.

:| raven |: said...

this is also my all time favorite Christmas carol ...

i love it by John Berry or Josh Groban.

also love: Mary, Did You Know?

Merry Christmas ......

:| raven |: said...

[Originally written by Mark Lowry and Buddy Greene]

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has come to make you new?
This Child that you delivered will soon deliver you.

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will calm the storm with His hand?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has walked where angels trod?
When you kiss your little Baby you kissed the face of God?

Mary did you know?

The blind will see.
The deaf will hear.
The dead will live again.
The lame will leap.
The dumb will speak
The praises of The Lamb.

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will one day rule the nations?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
The sleeping Child you're holding is the Great, I Am.

Anonymous said...

that's so happy.
merry xmas.
=)

Euromark said...

Why, I do believe you simply absconded to "someplace else" without taking proper leave from your blog-friends! The very idea!! Hope the Xmas days are stress free and memorable.