Saturday, March 24, 2007

IRS

Thursday was the deadline the IRS gave us that they would respond to our offer. Never heard a word from them. So Friday we called them. Answer, "Sorry we are behind." Great. If we told them that they would hammer us. As usual, the whole government deal is one sided. It is like we exist for them.

One thing I have learned in life is never EVER NEVER get on the wrong side of the government, not the law, not the tax collectors, not child protective services, none of them. They are big, mean, slow, heard it all before, and do not care about you.

So I go to my tax attourney, and pay the last of my bill. So far they have done nothing for me. Their slogan is, "Make your IRS problem, our problem." At this moment it still feels like my problem. So anyway they said it has been so long they will probably want another round of financial data (bank statments, pay stubs, etc). Great. Why not just fill out a form, and then have them contact you to request data when they are ready to look at your info? No, instead you spend a ton of time gathering up every possible piece of information, only to have it go obsolete before they get around to looking at it.

So anyway, our financial life is on indefinite hold, and we have no control over it. It does not have to be this way. We could have the Fair Tax, but apparently most people still like having the IRS around.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

How frustrating to have this hanging over you. I know plenty of people who will be dealing with the law forever.

Amy said...

I am among those who love have the IRS around. I feel cozy and protected knowing that my life is only mine as long as they let me have it. When every knock on the door makes me jump, I know I'm being looked out for.

Angela O. said...

I worked my way through the last 2 years of college and right after I graduated as an IRS data transcriber (i.e. typed in tax returns); we efile now as my passive-agressive revenge.