Friday, April 06, 2007

Helen Rowland


I bet Helen Rowland was fun at parties.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I think Helen was a bit negative about the male gender. I certainly hope most men aspire to better than she gave them credit for.
That aside, I would have had parties just for the sake of inviting her, were I around in her time.

Anonymous said...

Ah, my kind of woman. Sharp, astute and witty! Yep, she'd have been invited to all my parties!

Chris said...

We certianly aspire to be better than she gives us credit for. It is just that so few of us are succesful at it.

Angela O. said...

I'd invite her. She seems pretty smart and funny to me--especially for a woman from 1875-1950!

I think Helen is right on with a couple of things:
A)A bride at her second marriage does not wear a veil. She wants to see what she is getting. --Helen Rowland
--I have one friend who refers to her 1st marriage as her "practice marriage." She and her 2nd husband are VERY respectful of each other and work extremely hard as neither wants to divorce a 2nd time.
B) A wise woman puts a grain of sugar into everything she says to a man, and takes a grain of salt with everything he says to her.
Helen Rowland
--This is very true. I see quite a few men that IMO put up with some mean things from their wives and then the wives are ultra sensitive to anything their husbands say/do.

Chris said...

Some of my favorites are:

1.A man never knows how to say goodbye; a woman never knows when to say it.

2.A man's heart may have a secret sanctuary where only one woman may enter, but it is full of little anterooms which are seldom vacant.

3.Flirting is the gentle art of making a man feel pleased with himself. (vice versa on that one...)

4.To be happy with a man you must understand him a lot and love him a little. To be happy with a woman you must love her a lot and not try to understand her at all.

5.Why does a man take it for granted that a girl who flirts with him wants him to kiss her - when, nine times out of ten, she only wants him to want to kiss her?