Friday, May 04, 2007

Iraq: The Sad Fact


The sad fact is that we can not help these people because they are insane. Who would build bombs into a girls school?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you not yet faced the fact that we live in an insane (fallen)world Chris?
The pro gun culture in the USA that end in young aduls shooting their fellow students willy-nilly is pretty nutty too I have to say.
All very sad.

Chris said...

There are differences though. In the case of the shooting it was one guy who went cracker bonkers. To build bombs into a school is pre-meditated, and I think not just by one person. Lastly, as bad as it might be here in the USA, we are having trouble keeping people out, so we must be doing something right.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't meaning to criticize the USA as such Chris, just point out that nuttiness isn't all exclusive to Iraq, though the levels,degrees & motivations might vary.
And I suspect, that while the USA is still in Iraq, they will consider it to be a war zone and continue to target for maximum casualties.
Sad, sick, but true.

Anonymous said...

for clarification : *they*
being the (nutty) insurgents ... not the USA.

Jessica said...

I saw this story on the new tonight and was amazed at the evil. What kind of person would do this? I don't get it!

Bettina said...

It is indeed very sad but I agree with Aggie- insanity is present all over the world. Iraqi people are no more insane than Americans. What about the at least 60'000 civilians that died in Iraq since the 2003 invasion started? Isn't that sad? They all had mothers, fathers or daughters who loved them too.

Chris said...

I confess a little frustration at this jumping on the U.S. We are not the ones planting bombs in schools. We are the ones finding and dismantling the bombs.

The sad fact is that there were plenty of people getting killed before we got there, and as long as they are planting bombs in girls schools they are will continue to be plenty of people getting killed after we are gone.

My point is that as long as those people want to blow each other up and blow up thier own children then we are wasting our time there.

I fail to see a single person who snapped and went crazy as the moral equivalent to building a school for children with built in bombs. I am thinking more than one person built that school, but maybe I am the crazy one?

Anonymous said...

Without meaning to set of a huge debate about any of this, I would ask why the US is there at all(???) if your opinion is that it will all continue after anyway. (I agree that it will continue ... but it beggars the question of why America is poking it's nose in where it is most obviously not welcome?)
And we ALL agree that setting bombs into the infrastructure of a school is a sick and depraved act by ANYONE.
but again, it is not exclusive to Iraq. It happened for real in a Russian school not that long ago.

Chris said...

The U.S. is there because Iraq invaded Kuwait and we did not finish off Suddam Hussien the first time, but left him in power. He violated the U.N. cease fire agreements and so we finally decided to take him out.

Further Iraq was a supporter of terrorism. The capture of Abu Abbas in Baghdad is enough justification for me.

If the Russians are building bombs into their children's schools then they are crazy, too. I doubt there is anything you will be able to say that will convince me that this is normal.

Anonymous said...

thats because it most assuredly is NOT normal ...
and I seriously doubt those were the reasons that GWB invaded Iraq ... no one outside of the USA buys into that at all.
But we live in free countries and can believe what we will.

Chris said...

You obviously have an alternate theory. Do tell.

Lets hope it is not the bankrupt we wanted to steal their oil theory. We have our own supplies, and whatever oil we get, we buy on the open market. The war has caused unstability which has driven the price of oil up. If we wanted cheap oil appeasment would have been a much better strategy.

Anonymous said...

No, I don't subscribe to the oil theory.
Neither did I subscribe to the Weapons of Mass Destruction theory that GWB touted as his excuse for invading.
But I note that Iraq is smack in the middle of a strategic area for the US in terms of the Middle East and I question whose interests are really being served here ... the Iraqi people's or the US govt's?
They didn't see fit to intervene in mass genocide in Rwanda for example? Why? Because it served no USA interest of course.
Suffice to say that those who live outside of the USA see it quite differently to those who live inside of the US.
History will have to decide.

Chris said...

One big difference of course is Rawanda is not trying to take over Africa to my knowledge, while clearly Saddam was trying to take over the Middle East.

But certainly the Middle East is an area of concern for us since we recently had two airliners controlled by Middle Eastern terrorist fly into our largest buildings. So far no Rawandans have attempted that.

So what is New Zealand doing for Rawanda or anyplace else? It is easy for contries, who do nothing, who are not trying to make a difference in the world take pot shots at the countries that are on the front lines trying to make things better. Here we call such comments "cheap shots".

Anonymous said...

lol! ok Chris ... not meant that way, but suit yourself.
We are in all of those areas too btw ... we just choose to be there in peace-keeping roles such as medical support and infrastructure rebuilding, as in Indonesia after the tsunamis. It was mainly our medical personnel that identified all those poor unfortunates ... and we are still there re-building, so the "do nothing" doesn't really apply.
Oh, and we wait to be invited by the countries concerned!

Chris said...

I admit to not being a scholar on the subject, but I suspect most of the wars NZ has fought through the years were not at the invitation of the opponent country or people.

Dirty Bunny said...

That's messed up, but in the back of watched too many movies-mind, I can't help but wonder if the US put them there in an attempt to drum up support for this idiotic war.