Thursday, September 20, 2007

OB Rules!


I grew up in San Diego, California. San Diego Bay opens to the Pacific Ocean to the south. In the middle of the bay is an almost island called Coronado. On the left side of San Diego is a peninsula and that peninsula is called Point Loma. I grew up on Point Loma, specifically Loma Portal. From my Dad's front porch you can see Coronado, and the bay. It is very pretty and the entire city is naturally air conditioned by the ocean whose current flows down from Alaska. Every time I go back I mean to get a picture of it to post here, but I always forget.

To the west, on the other side of the Peninsula is the beach, walking distance from my house. It might be more accurate to say that we grew up at the beach instead of the house. That beach is called Ocean Beach or O.B. for short. Up the coast there with other beaches like Mission Beach and Pacific Beach. There is some rivalry among the locals of the beaches, but by any standard our beach (O.B.) was way better than those other beaches.

Today I was at the hospital getting some blood drawn done for an annual physical next week and on the car next to me, with Texas plates, was a very familiar O.B. sticker with the flying sea gull. Cool! It made me a little home sick, even after all of these years.

Some good pictures of O.B. here.

4 comments:

Angela O. said...

That sounds so beautiful - what a fun childhood.

I love the fall but it makes me long for home - Arkansas. AR is beautiful in the fall...

Anonymous said...

I simply cannot imagine not living near the ocean or the beach.
A childhood by the sea is magic ... and so is adulthood.

Perry H. said...

I always had you pegged as a spoiled little rich kid...lol. ;O)

What a fantastic place to grow up!

Chris said...

Probably sounds like it, huh? No I think we were living beyond our means. We were kind of poor at times, esp compared to some of the neighbors.