Sunday, October 21, 2007

Boring Obligatory Update

Concert Saturday was a blast. I think a good time was had by all. Thank you Amy for babysitting.

Sunday we watched Amy doing drama for Jesus (fun!), and then went over to Eric and Amy's for lunch and to hang out which was fun.

Sleep in the afternoon and then back to work tonight.

I weighed myself tonight and I am at 198.6 (lowest yet, go me!). I was kind of stuck there at 200 for a while, but now I am finally dropping again. It is mostly from eating right and moderate portions, because I have not exercised in 4 days.

I told RA, but she was not excited for me. So I asked what was wrong, and she said I cheated. Apparently you are only supposed to weigh yourself once per day. Who knew?

I weigh myself all of the time. Its not that I am obsessed. Its more like a science project. I want to understand how it all works. Do you really weigh less in the morning? (No, its more like when you get up after sleeping a long time. For example my lowest was tonight after sleeping all day) How much do you gain if you go to the restaurant and pig out? (about 2 pounds) How much do you lose after going to the bathroom (sometimes .4 to .6 of a pound!) Do you ever gain weight when you sleep? (Apparently not)

Fascinating stuff.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My understanding regarding the use of scales to measure weight loss is that it will always be inconsistent. Your body's metabolism changes from morning, late morning, lunchtime, afternoon, to early evening and bedtime. It is therefore inaccurate when used frequently. Once per week at the same time of day is meant to be a more reliable measure and reflection of true weight loss ... but even better is to measure youself: Chest, around the arms, waist, hips, bottom, thigh, lower leg and compare those with what happens after a week. Most people notice weight loss in the loosening up of their clothes, so the measurement thing shows FAT loss as opposed to mere body metabolism changes. Something to think about anyway. Good luck with it all.

Sarah said...

I think it's okay to weigh yourself often, but don't use it as the only measure, and don't get frustrated if you seem to gain 2 pounds for no reason. Your weight will fluctuate and long-term trends will become mroe noticeable and more reliable.

After I reached my goal weight I put the scale away because I didn't want my kids to see me obsessed with my weight from day to day.

Angela O. said...

We don't own a scale at our house. We have one at work that I check every once in a while. But I mostly depend on the doctor's office for weight.

I notice more when clothes is starting to get tight and then know to start working on it. Of course, that's not been that easy in the last few years . . .