Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Tired of Electricity

I was bored and tired of electricity last night. It was getting late and all of the lights were on and stuff was running. So I just turned off all of the circuit breakers. I figured I signed up for food, clothes and shelter, but I never promised to provide electricity.

It was nice and quiet and the candles were pretty. I loved it, but apparently I live with a bunch of electricity junkies. The family sort of freaked out. They learned all about circuit breakers, etc. So we kind of battled it out for a while, ending in sort of a stalemate with the electricity on, but the lights off. Living without electricity is obviously something that we will have to work on more in the future.

Weight loss is still going good. I was 200.6 this morning. I am about to cross under 200 for the first time in a long time. My wife said my belly looks diminished. I screwed up and forgot to take my "before" picture, though. My BMI is 27.3. Anything above 25 is considered unhealthy.

I almost settled with the IRS, but I called off the deal. It really bothers me that my own government tries to screw me, just because they know they have me over a barrel. Basically to reduce what I owe by a mere $18K they said I would have to give up my $200K tax loss carryover which I calculate to have a monetary value of $70K. Further I would have had to refinance my house at 10% and still pay $5K now and come up with another $6K in 90 days. It just was not worth it. We will be better off in the long term to just pay it all out. We should be fine as long as I can keep my second job, although it would have been nice to have it behind us.

I am at work now. I usually can get what I am supposed to work on done in the first hour or two, and then I have to try to look busy the remaining hours, which is not as easy as it sounds.

My Christian ministry is going well. We missed worship on Saturday, but a kissing epidemic broke out on Sunday.

Kara made it back home safely. What a trip she had!

I leave tomorrow for Pittsburgh to bring Quentin home. I am really looking forward to being with him again.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Sorry to hear that all of your efforts led you nowhere with the IRS. Does the tax loss carryover reduce your AGI or does it directly reduce the final tax? Just curious. We haven't gotten there in our tax class.

I know what you mean about trying to look busy when you are NOT. That's what I'm doing now. And I have been for the last 6 hours! I want a new job!

Anonymous said...

Why don't you use your down time at work to write your book?
Sorry to hear about the IRS thing. I watched a doco(?) that someone sent me from the States that said there was nothing in the U.S. constitution that said citizens had to pay tax there and so lots of folk don't and the IRS can't sue in Court because it's not in law? I don't know how true it is. The doco was sort of full of conspiracy theory stuff over 9/11, etc. I can't remember the name of it. "Zeitgeist" or something similar.
Hmm, a kissing epidemic .. I rather like the sound of that!

Chris said...

I think probably just reduces AGI and even so only $3K per year. At the current rate it would probably last my whole life.

The cool thing is that it can also be used against capital gains, so if I were to sell a house for profit, or profit in the stock market again I could directly deduct it, so I would pay no taxes on the profits.

Aggie, there are some people who do not believe that the 16th Amendment. See item 7.

I will probably use my down time to write. I find it is not so easy at my day job, and I am a little fuzzy headed on my weekend job, but the main thing is to keep at it. It seems like there are a lot of things like that in life. Stuff you just have to keep at it.

Angela O. said...

Sorry about the IRS woes.

I think the no electricity thing sounds pretty neat. My SIL's pastor recently challenged his congregation to spend a day without all electronic devices--no TV, no cell phone, no radio--just time with God; My SIL said it was very calming.

Perry H. said...

I'm a rebel at heart. After reading this, I went home and turned on every electrical appliance I could find, and every light switch. Oracle is the perfect job for us fuzzy headed folk!! lol

Chris said...

Oh I see. Working for the other side...sometime when you are not paying attention I am going to turn off your monitor.