
Sorry for posting after I said I was done, but I am pretty excited about the latest developments related to the Eldorado raid:
Appeals court: State had no right to seize polygamist sect's children from YFZ Ranch.
Apparently the appeals court saw the same thing I saw: Gossip and slander are not enough to take legal action on. In this country you are supposed to need evidence and the Texas CPS did not have it.
Here is footnote 11 of the opinion:
The simple fact, conceded by the Department, that not all FLDS families are polygamous or allow their female children to marry as minors demonstrates the danger of removing children from their homes based on the broad-brush ascription of every aspect of a belief system to every person living among followers of the belief system or professing to follow the belief system.
The problem with broad stroke action such as this is that you end up doing more damage than you prevent.
Bravo to the Texas RioGrande Legal Aid!
Now that the tide is turned watch the politicians distance themselves from it. I guess no one told Governor Perry that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

No comments:
Post a Comment