Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

My nephew is staying with us. He has lived with us several years now. In all of that time, we have not heard from his father once. I thought he lived in a distant part of the state (and Texas is a big state). As it turns out he lives right here in Austin. I just found out and I was shocked.

He was visiting my sister-in-law and he tells her, "Tell the kids I said hi". That's it. My nephew was over visiting his mother, and his father can't even bother to come in to the house and say hello to him.

I just don't get it. He is a wonderful kid and has not been any trouble at all. He is a star on the basketball and football teams. He is protective of his mother and he has a great sense of humor. Who would not want to be his father?

"Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him." - Psalm 127:3

I do not understand it. Why would anyone throw away their rewards? But they do, and I consider it my gain.

My children are my rewards. They are all, each of them good people. I love being with them. But I am not the only one that thinks so. Once, for example, we were visiting my father in San Diego, and I turned in early and so my son Quentin was hanging out with my Dad. The next day my Dad made a point to tell me what a great guy Quentin is, how well he communicates, and how much he enjoyed spending time with him. I guess he expected some sort of awkward teenager, and not the intelligent thoughtful guy that he is.

Yesterday when I got home from work it was better than a pile of puppies. I was laughing and wrestling with Kim, Marjorie, Nathaniel and Emily until RA had finished cooking my breakfast. Fun! Never a dull moment. It does not get boring or lonely at our house.

Sure kids can be expensive, but how much would I pay for them? I can not say I could name a price. It is like you get something of infinite value for what, a few thousand dollars. That is a very great reward!

I thank you everyday, God, but let me thank you publicly for my very great rewards (and you too, RA).

P.S. Don't miss Fred on Fathers Day

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a lovely Father's Day and good fun with the fam. It's great that your nephew has you and RA and his cousies to love and support him.

Euromark said...

Much of our world is driven by questions of cost-benefit analysis; will this be successful, is it worth it, what will I get in return for this, is this the biggest bang for my buck? This thinking has even infiltrated many churches - a tragedy.
God's answer: all life is worth everything. Life is precious - this has nothing to do with whether life is successful or "worth it".

Chris said...

Thank you. I had a very nice Fathers Day. Kids took me out to dinner. Emily gave me a stuffed animal that belonged to Kim and a picture she drew. Marj had already left for summer camp.