
So apparently it is Charles Darwin's birthday this week, and FoxNews is running an article that headlines "Fewer Than 4 in 10 Believe in Evolution", presumably to point out how ignorant most of us are, but all this really proves is that if you ask stupid questions you get stupid results.
The problem is that they are mixing two different questions. The first question is does evolution exist, and this answer is clearly yes. Species do change over time. The second question is, "Is the process of evolution responsible for the origin of life?" This later question is far more controversial and unproven.
So what they do in this poll is that they bait and switch with the question, "Do you believe in evolution?" If you answer no, you are ignorantly answering the first question. If you answer yes, then you are considered to be affirming the second question. So the question as posed has no correct answer.
What 6 in 10 Americans are saying is that they do not believe that evolution is responsible for the origin of life, but those that are posing the question are too ignorant to understand that.

4 comments:
The questions are very vague and already based on assumptions. Darwin's theory of evolution can be helpful in positing scenarios for understanding biological phenomena and how certain life forms may have come to be what they are. He was a remarkable man who war very adventurous - lets not forget that. But lets be just as creative as he was in thinking outside of the box. Nowadays assumptions about the theory of evolution are presented as facts and used as "litmus tests" to identify agendas - what a contortion of true scholarship.
I agree 100%. You have to respect Darwin's intellectual honesty and willingness to think outside the box. And yet the sheer complexity of life (DNA, RNA, etc) makes the origin question very murky. Natural selection can at best be the cause of the diversity of life and not the origin of life.
So it WAS the chicken and not the egg after all? Dang!
I don't think they were ignorant at all - it's just another way to put a spin on something in their viewpoint's favor.
I always love it when someone starts to defend their position with "according to experts"...lol.
And I also believe everything I read! :O)
Great points Chris...personally I like the "Big Bang Theory" because the name sounds sexual.
Funny, I read the same artical, and I didn't read it the same way you did. Hmm I believe the point of these questions was to merely show the difference of opinions, based on education. Not to confuse or munipulate the question to confuse the reader or call anyone ignorant for not knowing the answers. Just my 2 cents.
Post a Comment