Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha

Could there be a more beautiful movie? I cannot imagine anything exceeding it.

Although separated by time and space, this movie reminds me in many ways of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, of which, of course, there can be no higher compliment. It is about a young lady with love and hope in her heart, and what appears to be unreasonable faith. The protagonist, Sayuri, is faced with the same kind of choice as Jane of P&P: does she compromise her heart's desire to ensure the security of her and those around her?

In contrast to P&P, this movie approaches the question from a more adult angle, and so the choices are less clear cut, and perhaps more difficult. Sayuri comes from a far harder background, with far less support than Elizabeth has, and thus our sympathies, if she chooses to sacrifice herself, are greater. This ia a darker movie, although not so heavy as to be unbearable to watch.

At one point during a confrontation she yells out, "I am worthy!" which I believe is the theme of this movie. She is worthy, and not just because she is the greatest of all Gieshas, but rather become she is a human with hopes and dreams, something that we can all relate to.

There is another element to this movie that is not present in P&P. Jane Austen's world is static. The world of Elizabeth never changes, and thus she has fewer variables to deal with. Sayuri, on the other hand, has to deal with the fact that her world as she knows it is destroyed by war. How does this change the desires of her heart and how she deals with them?

Not only does her world change, but the object of her affection changes. How would Elizabeth have handled the situation if Mr. Darcy had lost eveything he owned. Did she love him enough to chose poverty? Jane never has to make that decision, but Suyuri never flinches.

The similarities in theme between P&P and this movie fascinate me. It shows that despite the distance in time and space, the question of how a lady is to survive in a man's world is universal.

14 comments:

Dirty Bunny said...

I've been debating renting it. Now I must.

Anonymous said...

Ah, English Literature, my favourite. Those Bennett girls would require some surpassing Chris. LOL
Especially given the wit contained in P & P, The Book. But also a favourite movie of mine. I'll go & see Memoirs if you recommend it, but I don't know that from a literary point of view, a comparison would hold up too well.

joanne said...

I LOVED Pride and Prejudice. Loved the movie with Colin Firth too. Did you see that one?

Rich said...

I loved the book (the Geisha) - haven't seen the movie yet.

Thanks for the comments on the blog. I've gotten a bit behind.

As for the VP - I don't know that she was mine to have. And I know she's not mine to give away - but she's available. Just look for the cutie in the red 350SL.

Anonymous said...

Submission and innovation (hopes and dreams) - two eternal opponents in the history of humankind running through the arts of most cultures.

yes, my name is...

Chris said...

I was not really trying for a literary comparison. Mostly I was just recognizing similarities in the plot having to do with the theme of surviving in a man's world.
I have not read the book, but the movie makes me want to read it, especially based upon Rich's recommendation.

I have read P&P many times, and have also seen all of the movie version and, of course, the A&E version (all 6 hours of it) multiple times. It is my favorite, and I named my dog after Lizzie. :)

Anonymous said...

I am such a fan of Jane Austen & other British writers that did a Literary Tour of England with my sister about 10 years ago. I visited all the places she mentioned in P & P & other books.
My sister gave me the 6 hrs double
movie for one of my B/Days. (for some reason it's now stuck on Colin Firth when he first sees Lizzie at Pemberley)LOL
You named your Dog after her? how cute is that!
It's a man's world? I absolutely hadn't noticed!

Anonymous said...

D: Done & dusted! I've read all her stuff ever written. We did the tour before the latest movie came out, but I had been a huge fan of the books previously anyway.
I also visited others, like Charles Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes), Bronte sisters (Wuthering Heights) which I have to say is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. And so on. It was a great tour. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Chris said...

What?!? No Anthony Trollope?

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris: Yep, Trollope! I did the lot. Including all the Scottish writers/poets and Irish ones too. (You can tell I'm an addictive type of personality can't you?)LOL

Anonymous said...

I meant to say thanks for the Chicago links too - cool!

Chris said...

What about Kipling?

Anonymous said...

No Kipling! I'm into Googling instead!

Chris said...

Oh my!