Monday, August 21, 2006

Insurance


Insurance is an important part of your financial plan and everyone wants to get a good deal on insurance. However price is only one component of a good deal. Another component is service, and for insurance a critical component of service is if they will pay when they are supposed to.

A number of years back my Mother's house caught fire while she was at the beach. She was insured by USAA and everyone said that USAA was a fabulous insurance company. They took her premiums for years with no problems, but when it came time to pay the claim they offered her pennies on the dollar. If she did not like it she could sue them. She did not have any money for a lawyer, so she had to take what she could get. It was not enough to rebuild her house, so she had to move back in with her mother. I do not recommend USAA insurance.

Recently Ruth Ann was hit from behind by someone insured by Gieco. We are not Gieco customers, but they treated us wonderfully. They got us a rental car. When we told them we needed a bigger rental car because we have so many kids, one with at least as many seats as the van that was hit, they cheerfully complied. They found someone who repaired the van and did great work. We did not have to worry about anything and they were always a pleasure to deal with. I highly recommend Gieco.

If anyone knows of a good website that had information about insurance companies, and what percentage of claims they pay fully, etc, I would be very interested.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Insurance seems to be a necessary evil that sometimes works out nicely and sometimes goes horribly wrong. We love State Farm for cars and hate them for house. What do you know.

Rebecca said...

Wow its good to know that Geico is such a great company. We have Nationwide, but we just recently switched from Allstate, so we haven't had any claims with them yet. We'll see. But their homeowners ins. covered more than Allstate did.

Perry H. said...

I have had USAA fo 10 years, and never had an issue. They use Pavillion Lincoln Mercury as a body shop that you can just drive in, their own employees do the estimate. One of the best body shops I ever had - they repaired two diff Camaros, my Firebird, and my Corvette, all flawlessly. We had home claims paid completely and quickly too. Course, we never had the place burn. They have always been great to me, and I know that is just my experience. I had Snake Farm before that, who I hated completely!! Talk to ya Friday Chris, congrats on SD win!

Angela O. said...

There is the Texas Department of Insurance that regulates insurance in Texas: http://tdi.state.tx.us/ There is a wealth of information but you have to search through the website.

We had Geico for car insurance and no tickets, accidents and Geico popped us big time so we left.

We've had USAA for about 8 years now and have been happy with them.

Dirty Bunny said...

Insurance is poopy, but I don't want to be without it. I've been with American Family ever since I started driving, and I've never had any problems with them.

Bridget Jones said...

That is lovely to read. Thanks for the post.

Agree with Sarah about state farm.

Anonymous said...

Is there Kermit Frog Insurance in the USA? We don't have any of those firms, but we hate Insurance companies of any kind here. But I'd go with the Frog.