Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Movie Review: The World's Fastest Indian

When I first heard the title of this movie, it made me think of the story in the "Little House on the Prairie" books about the Indian that outran a horse. However, this movie has nothing to do with fast indigenous people of North America.

It is a true story about a Kiwi (New Zealander) named Burt Munro who has an Indian brand motorcycle. Over the years he builds his own parts and improves it, and for 25 years he dreams of bringing it to the United States and racing it on the salt flats in Utah. He overcomes many obstacles to get there and get that chance to race it at age 65 and ends up setting a world speed record that stands to this day.

I am not sure why this movie is even rated PG-13 except for the scene with the transsexual. Although a likeable enough character, I am somewhat puzzled why they included a transexual character. I do not recall a whole lot of them around in the 60s.

None the less this is a wonderful movie about not giving up on your dreams even in your later years. The movie stars the always amazing Anothy Hopkins.

Update: Sorry, I think I am mistaken in my perversions. I believe the chracter in question was a cross-dresser, not a transexual.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please don't forget fantastic compliments about our gorgeous scenery. The movie was filmed here in N.Z.
LOL

(The transexual maybe a bit of an inside joke btw as we have a particularly well known one here in N.Z. that they ended up making her a Member of Parliament and she also starred on Dancing with the Stars.)

Angela O. said...

I would not have thought that was what the movie was from the title. We'll add to our queue.

We have a popular he/she, not she what the correct term is here in Austin as well named Leslie. And another, Jennifer, that runs for mayor every election.

Chris said...

Ah yes, Austin's famous Leslie Cochrane.

Rebecca said...

Yea those all get very confusing. It was a common mistake.

Anonymous said...

A cross dresser? What you doin in that movie then?lol

Euromark said...

Actually, cross-dressing has a long and colourful history, so it was nothing new in the 60s (new to certain parts of the USA, perhaps). Interesting how it is usually males trying to look like females; don't hear much about females crossing into male territory. I'll have to see if this flick is flimmering over here.

Chris said...

The simple explanation is that women normally wear the pants in the family, so no one notices when they cross dress. :)

Angela O. said...

Yes we DO! :-)

Trishdish said...

O you got that right doll!
Wasn't there a big fuss at one stage way back when, when gals started to wear trou, other than jeans?

Euromark said...

BTW: "Pants" has another meaning in England, at least - perhaps also in NZ and Australia. In English it means what we call "underwear" in the USA. So, if you say women wear the pants in the family, that says something about lacking attire in the rest of the crew...