Wednesday, August 02, 2006

What I Am Reading Now


Well my paperback copy of Tender is the Night fell apart. And it is a good thing, too, because the book was just too stupid to continue with. OK so the supposedly smart psychologist decided to get his wife from the patients at the mental hospital!?! I have not read the end of the book, but let me guess: it will not go well. I guess I will never know, though, because my book fell apart.

Now I am reading The Awakening by Kate Chopin. This book, written in 1898, was apparently quite controversial at the time it was first published. It is about a wife and mother in a well off turn of the century Louisiana family examining her life and values for the first time.

“Perhaps it is better to wake up after all, even to suffer; than to remain a dupe to illusions all one’s Life.” - Kate Chopin

It is fascinating that she died thinking her novel was a failure and that 30 to 70 years later it emerges as a classic. I guess one never really knows for sure.

2 comments:

Bridget Jones said...

Probably a good thing, C.

Do you know how FSF's wife died?

She was a patient at a mental hospital.

They tied them (or at least her) in for the night.

There was a fire.

Dumb.

Anonymous said...

I always say truth is stranger than fiction.