Monday, September 04, 2006

Crikey!

Steve Irwin killed by Sting Ray! All of those times watching his close calls, I guess you had to figure it was just a matter of time. Rest in peace.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's sad for his young family. His wife is American I believe?
I've been diving in Port Douglas where he was killed. I was more terrified of the sharks than stingrays, but they are huge there.

MYSTIC said...

It was just reported on the news 8 AM (EST) here that his wife was in Tanzania Hiking and has not heard the news yet. As a former diver we were always mindful of not touching bottom for that very reason. Our sincere sympathy to his wife and children...and his many friends.

Chris said...

More information.

Bettina said...

The news came over Australia like a huge wave of shock. It's weired, because I don't think a famous person's death is any more tragic than any other person's, but because we feel we know the famous person, we care more. In Australia, we feel like we know Steve Irwin's whole family, which makes it seem unreal.

Nevertheless, I think we should also not forget all those other people who die in wars, famines and other tragedies and also leave behind family and friends who loved them- but they were not in the limelight, so nobody talks about them.

By the way, it was Tasmania where Steve's wife Terri was hiking, not Tanzania. The news here reported that Terri returned back home from Tasmania last night (Monday) and has been putting on a very brave face, trying to be strong for her kids.

Louise said...

Yes it is very sad but as you said it was no surprise. My first comment was "what animal killed him?"

MYSTIC said...

I'm sorry Bettina, I had Tanzania on my mind..I'm a guy...we don't ask directions. I had actually been looking at Tanzinite so thus the mental slip. So Tasmania it is...

Chris said...

Tasmania? That is the place with the little devils that spin around real fast, right?

Jessica said...

What are the odds that a sting ray would be the cause of his death? I mean, a croc maybe, but a sting ray?

Bridget Jones said...

Never thought that that man would die young.

Bob said...

hello guy, IELTS is international english language testing system, means a kind of exam... english is not my mother language, so i have to pass this exam to study abroad, you know, just like TOEFL

Bettina said...

Hey Mystic, not to worry, I know that guys don't ask for directions. I don't understand why not, but I accept it as a guys' thing... :-)

Chris, yeah, Tasmania IS that place with the little devils... and they do spin around real fast sometimes. The poor buggers have a really bad reputation, but I think they're kinda cute... in an unusual sort of way, I guess.

blacksheep said...

While I do feel terrible for his wife and children..can't imagine the heartache...I also have to think that it was bound to happen..you place yourself in harm's way enough, guess what?...you're bound to get hurt...But to be honest it has not affected me that much..I don't feel like I knew him just because I saw him on TV...I have been much more affected by the deaths of some of my close friends...Like I said, I feel bad for them but..lots of good people die every day and I don't feel like He is any more worthy of press time than the average Joe that dies on the job...